A TIF is available if you are uncertain about learning to fly or want to experience of flying an aircraft before you commence training.
A TIF is an air experience flight; a way of sampling flight training without making any commitment to joining the school. The objective of a TIF is to give you a good and fair sampling of what flying feels like, plus an insight into the flight training process.
A TIF is a once off experience. All subsequent training is based on an approved CASA syllabus. The TIF follows the same sequence as a normal instructional flight:
- Pre-flight briefing. You will usually spend a little time in a briefing room going over the flight and what to expect;
- Aircraft pre-flight inspection. You will be shown around the aircraft while the instructor does the pre-flight inspection. You can participate in the pre-flight inspection if you wish – the more you are involved the better. You will be shown how to get in, how to strap in, and the equipment in the cockpit will be briefly outlined to you, as well as the actions to be taken in an in-flight emergency.
- Flight procedures. Your flight will be in our training area. You will be shown the airfield from the air, the local scenery and points to orientate yourself. You will spend time with control of the aircraft in your hands, under the guidance of the instructor. This will give you a ‘feel’ for what it’s like to fly.
- Post-flight debriefing. Your instructor will answer any questions you have and underline a few of the main points of the TIF.
TIFs are conducted in our training aircraft and are 30 minutes, 40 minutes (recommended) or 60 minute (most in depth experience) flights (note – ground preparation and transition to and from our flying training area takes approximately 20 minutes).
Pricing (including GST) for 2020 is as follows:
Prices are subject to change.
- TIFs are conducted with the student and instructor only. Passengers are not allowed.
- The take-off and landing are controlled by the instructor only.
- Clothing should be appropriate for the season and shoes must be of the closed toe style. Thongs are not acceptable.
- The age of the participants should allow the participant to beginning training (15 years of age or older).
- Due to the weight limits of the aircraft being used a maximum weight for the participant is 100kg.
- The participant needs to have the physic size to reach the aircraft controls and instrument panel while seated and restrained in the aircraft seat.
- Persons with known medical conditions that may become a safety hazard should not conduct TIF’s.
- FTA promotes a drug and alcohol free workplace culture and therefore it is FTA’s expectation that the TIF candidate will not have consumed or used any alcohol and/or illicit drugs in the 12 hours prior to the trial instructional flight to ensure FTA adheres to its workplace safety policy. If FTA suspects that a candidate might have consumed drugs or alcohol in the last 12 hours, FTA will conduct a drug and alcohol test prior to the flight. Should the candidate refuse to undergo the test, FTA reserves the right to cancel the TIF.
- English language must be of a standard that can understand instruction and emergency procedures, in flight, in English.
- Due to flight safety considerations videoing/filming is not allowed during the flight and photos are allowed at the flight instructor’s discretion.
TIFs are scheduled around aircraft and Instructor availability.
Request for bookings are only taken six days in advance, which allows for immediate booking and confirmation.