Policy Number: POL-D.022
Responsible Officer: Pine Pienaar (CEO)
Date of Approval: April 2014
Scheduled review: 12-monthly
Cross References: Chapter 3 of the VETSL Guidelines, VETSL Administrative Information for Providers
1. Under the provisions of Schedule 1A to the Higher Education Support Act 2003 (the Act) and chapter 3 of the VETSL Guidelines Flight Training Adelaide ABN: 11112398660 (the First Provider) must comply with the VETSL Tuition Assurance requirements. This is to protect VETSL students in the event the First Provider ceases to provide a VETSL course of study in which a VETSL student is enrolled. The meaning of ‘ceasing to provide a VETSL course of study’ is set out in the VETSL Guidelines. A copy of this is available from: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Series/F2012L02569
2. In the event the First Provider ceases to provide a VETSL course of study in which a VETSL student is enrolled the VETSL student is entitled to a choice of:
a. an offer of a place in a similar VETSL course of study with a Second Provider without any requirement to pay the Second Provider any VETSL tuition fee for any replacement VETSL units (this is known as the “VETSL Course Assurance Option”);
b. a refund of their up-front VETSL tuition fee payments and/or a re-crediting of any VETSL balance for any VETSL unit of study that the VETSL student was enrolled or commences but does not complete because the First Provider ceases to provide the VETSL course of study of which the unit forms part (this is known as the “VETSL Tuition Fee Repayment Option”)
3. The First Provider has met the VETSL tuition assurance requirements, as specified in the VETSL Guidelines, through current membership of the Australian Student Tuition Assurance Scheme (ASTAS-VETSL (the Scheme). Contact details for Australian Council for Private Education and Training (ACPET) (VETSL TA Administrator) are:
Australian Council for Private Education and Training (ACPET)
PO Box 551, East Melbourne, VIC 8002
Ph: 1800 657 644 Fax: 03 9416 1895
4. If the First Provider ceases to provide a VETSL course of study, the VETSL TA Administrator will send a VETSL student enrolled in the VETSL course of study a written VETSL Tuition Assurance Offer (the Offer) advising the VETSL student of the options available under the VETSL tuition assurance requirements. The Offer will include directions that the VETSL student must follow in order to notify the VETSL TA Administrator of the choice they have made for each affected VETSL unit. The VETSL TA Administrator will provide this Offer within twenty Business Days after it knows, or should know by reasonable enquiries that the First Provider has ceased to provide the VETSL course of study.
5. For the purposes of VETSL , all courses offered by the First Provider in accordance with the course requirements of clause 45 of Schedule 1A to the Act are covered by the Scheme as part of its membership of the Scheme.
6. A VETSL student may choose either:
The VETSL Course Assurance Option
7. Under the VETSL course assurance option, a VETSL student will be offered a place in a similar VETSL course of study by the VETSL TA Administrator. If the VETSL tudent accepts this option, the VETSL TA Administrator will make all necessary arrangements to ensure a VETSL student is able to enrol with the Second Provider in the similar VETSL course of study. This offered VETSL course will lead to the same or a comparable qualification without any requirement on the part of the VETSL student to pay the Second Provider any VETSL tuition fee for any replacement vunits (that is, units that the VETSL student had commenced but not completed because the VETSL course ceased to be offered). A VETSL student will receive full credit from the Second Provider for any VETSL units of study successfully completed at the First Provider.
8. The Second Provider nominated by the VETSL TA Administrator may have different VETSL tuition fees to the fees the VETSL student would have paid for VETSL units of study which were part of the VETSL course of study the First Provider ceased to provide but which the VETSL student had not yet started studying.
9. A VETSL student is not obliged to enrol in a VETSL course of study with a Second Provider offered by the VETSL TA Administrator under the VETSL Course Assurance Option. However, if he/she enrols with any other VETSL provider there is no obligation on that VETSL provider to offer full credit transfer for the VETSL units of study completed with the First Provider or to offer replacement VETSL unit/s free of charge.
The VETSL Tuition Fee Repayment Option
10. Under the VETSL Tuition Fee Repayment Option, the VETSL TA Administrator undertakes to pay the VETSL student the total of any up-front VETSL payments already paid by the VETSL student for any VETSL units of study the VETSL student has commenced but not completed because the VETSL course ceased to be offered. VETSL students selecting this option will also have their VETSL balance re-credited for the uncompleted VETSL units.
The method this Statement of VETSL tuition Assurance will be made public to VETSL students will be on Flight Training Adelaide’s website (www.flyfta.com). Flight Training Adelaide will also advise VETSL students about where the Statement of VETSL Tuition Assurance may be obtained from as part of their enrolment information.