Flight Training Adelaide

providing world class aviation training solutions

Helicopter Programs


We have an established helicopter school that fully caters for self-funded students wishing to pursue their dream of flying a helicopter.

Self-funded students may not be in a position to do a full time helicopter flying course and therefore we tailor the course to meet a candidate’s personal needs. Our helicopter section provides flexibility to self-funded students by operating seven days a week.

For further information, please contact us

Training Programs

We offer a range of courses for various levels of previous flying experience:

Private Pilot Licence

Private Pilot Licence – PPL(H)

A PPL(H) allows a license holder to fly a helicopter for non-commercial purposes in daylight and VFR conditions.

The course includes about 50 hours of flight training. Candidates with prior flying experience will undergo a competency-based assessment to reduce the 50 hours syllabus accordingly if found proficient.

Commercial Pilot License

AVI40208 Certificate IV in Aviation Commercial Pilot License Helicopter)

We offer an integrated CPL(H) course of 100 hours and a modular course of 150 hours. For fixed wing PPL or CPL license holders there is an abbreviated course available as stipulated in the CASA manual of standards (MOS).

Combined Fixed Wing and Helicopter Licences

Combined Fixed wing and Helicopter Training

This course is ideal for those students who wish to get exposure to both fixed and rotary wing operations. The intent of this program is to first achieve a PPL(A) or CPL(A) and complete the course on a helicopter.

Foreign Licence Conversions

Foreign Licence Conversion Training

If a student already holds an ICAO member state license, we will be able to assist with the conversion of this license to the comparable CASA license.

Instructor Rating

AVI50510 Diploma of Aviation (Flight Instructor)

Our instructor program is aimed at pilots who are interested in pursuing a career as a helicopter instructor.
Course prerequisites:

CPL(H) with 250 helicopter flying hours, of which 100 hours must be pilot-in-command.


CPL(H) with low level and night rating endorsements (no hours requirement)

Instrument Rating

AVI50415 Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating)

Our instrument program is aimed at pilots who are interested in a Multi-engine helicopter instrument rating.

Course prerequisites:

CPL(H) with 50 hours cross country command.

Night VFR Rating

Course prerequisites:

* CASA Class 1 or 2 medical certificate
* Valid ASIC/AVID card
* Qualified on H269 or R44 type helicopter
* Operational restrictions require students to be in good physical health and weigh less than 105 kg for the Schweizer 300 CBi helicopter, or less than 130 kg for the Robinson R44.

Low Level Rating

Course prerequisites:

* CASA Class 1 or 2 medical certificate
* Valid ASIC/AVID card
* Qualified on Schweizer 300 CBi or R44 type helicopter
* Operational restrictions require students to be in good physical health and weigh less than 105 kg for the Schweizer 300 CBi helicopter, or less than 130 kg for the Robinson R44.

Trial Instructional Flight (TIF)

introductory flight
If you are uncertain about flying as a career, or you just want to have the experience of flying an aircraft, why not take a TIF with us at the FTA helicopter section? You will be controlling the aircraft under direct supervision of an instructor, following the same sequence as a normal instructional flight, which includes a pre-flight briefing, aircraft pre-flight inspection and the relevant air exercise.

To do a trial instructional flight, please contact us. A TIF booking request should be made 6 days before the required booking date.

Helicopter Trial Instructional Flight

Training Helicopters

Helicopter Pilot

Schweizer 300 CBi

c300Single Engine Piston – Schweizer 300 CBi

We currently operate a fleet of 3 Schweizer 300CBi helicopters with identical cockpit layout. The CBi 300’s responsive handling characteristics provide pilots with smooth, vibration-free stick forces which facilitate learning and replicate a big helicopter feel. The cyclic control and collective pitch harmony makes the 300CBi a true pleasure to fly and an ideal foundation to advance onto larger helicopters.

Engine Type: Textron Lycoming HIO-360 G1A
Maximum Take Off: 180 shp 134 kw
Maximum Gross Weight: 1,750 lbs 500 kg
Maximum Cruise Speed: 80 kts
HIGE Ceiling: 7,000 ft
HOGE Ceiling: 4,800 ft
AEO Service Ceiling: 10,000 ft
Maximum Endurance (32gal): 3.0 hrs
Maximum Endurance (64 gal): 6.0 hrs

Other Helicopter Types

FTA has a leasing arrangement for the following helicopters as required:

  • Robinson R44
  • Bell 206B
  • Squirrel AS355
  • BK117
  • Augusta 109

Operational Facilities

Although our helicopter operations use an autonomous building, it is conveniently located and within the campus facilities at Parafield Airport

Policies and Standards

Flight Training Adelaide Policies and Standards


Do I need a visa to study in Australia?

Yes, a student visa is required for any study undertaken in Australia that is expected to be longer than three months. An information pack detailing the application process can be obtained from your nearest Australian Embassy or by visiting www.immi.gov.au

As an overseas student, can I obtain work in Australia while studying?

Candidates on a student visa are required to do full time study, but you can apply for permission to work once you have commenced your studies. If you are granted permission to work, your working hours are restricted to a maximum of 20 hours per week. For more information please visit www.immi.gov.au
I have an overseas PPL. Can I get credit for my past flying experience?

Yes, the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) regulations provide for the recognition of foreign flight crew licences as the basis for converting to an Australian licence. For more information please visit www.casa.gov.au
Where can I get more information on studying in Adelaide?

You can visit the following web site www.studyadelaide.com
What type of flying experience will I need to get a job with an airline?

Different airlines have different entry requirements and it is best to contact prospective employers to seek advice on this matter. However, it is common for regional airlines to require a minimum of 500 multi-engine command hours for employment. Major airlines such as Qantas, Virgin Australia and overseas airlines usually require 500 multi-engine command hours, 1500 hours total flying time and an for direct entry candidates.
When can I start training?

Students can start at any time throughout the year.
Can I do a command instrument rating (CIR) at AFTC?

Yes, provided you hold a CASA PPL orCPL.
Do I need formal educational qualifications to train as a pilot?

No, CASA require no formal educational qualification to train as a pilot. However, an ICAO English level 4 is required to obtain a commercial pilot licence. School subjects such as maths, physics and geography will offer assistance to candidates during their ground theory subjects.
What are the minimum English requirements?

For foreign students the minimum requirement to conduct flight training in Australia is an average score of 5.5 (or comparable TOEFl or TOEIC scores). Minimum scores and criteria can be found at www.casa.gov.au
Do I need to proof of financial resources ?

Yes, there are minimum requirements that are in place since 1 July 2012. For more information please visit https://www.immi.gov.au/students/student-visa-living-costs.html

Is any sponsorship available at AFTC?

Unfortunately we do not offer sponsorships.

Enquiry Form

* required fields

First Name*
Preferred Name
Address 1
Address 2
Postal Code
Area of Interest *
If other, indicate what area you are interested in
Where did you hear about our training ? *

Additional information


Enter code :

Course Brochures