Flight Training Adelaide

providing world class aviation training solutions

General Aviation Programs


Adelaide Flight Training Centre (AFTC) is a subsidiary of Flight Training Adelaide (FTA). Like FTA it is recognised internationally for delivering quality pilot training. AFTC has been preparing self-funded pilots for a career in aviation since 1996.

Whether you are interested in the exciting challenge of learning to fly or in a career as commercial pilot, we can assist you at the AFTC. We cater for part-time students and operate seven days a week.

Should you have queries please contact us

How to become a career pilot

Even without an offer of employment from an airline, you can attain the required flying licences to be eligible for future employment:

PPL Private Pilot Licence

CPL Commercial Pilot Licence

ME CIR Multi-Engine Command Instrument Rating

ATPL Airline Transport Pilot Licence

Note: Multi-crew pilot licence is not available without an airline sponsored program.

A student does not require any formal qualifications to train as a pilot (other than English). It is, however, beneficial to have an educational background in maths and physics to assist with the course.

Trial Instructional Flight (TIF)

introductory flight
If you are uncertain about flying as a career, or you just want to have the experience of flying an aircraft, why not take a TIF with us at the AFTC? You will be controlling the aircraft under direct supervision of an instructor, following the same sequence as a normal instructional flight, which includes a pre-flight briefing, aircraft pre-flight inspection and the relevant air exercise.

To do a trial flight, please select an option below. A TIF booking request should be made 6 days before the required booking date.

Training Programs

Private Pilots Licence

Private Pilots Licence – PPL(A)
A PPL allows you to fly an aircraft for non-commercial purposes in daylight and in VFR conditions only.

The course includes about 70 hours of flight training and 90 days access to self-study computer based training. Candidates with prior flying experience will undergo a competency-based assessment to reduce the 70 hours syllabus accordingly if found proficient.

Commercial Pilots Licence

AVI50219 Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilots Licence Aeroplane)

A CPL allows you to act as pilot-in-command of a single engine aircraft for the purpose of remuneration. The course includes a minimum of 150 hours of flying and 210 hours of ground theory. We offer these courses either on a full time or part time basis.

CPL(A) is designed for local and international students of 18 years with little or no previous flying experience.

Night VFR

Night (VFR) Rating

A night VFR rating allows students to act as pilot-in-command at night in VMC. This rating includes basic aircraft handling and navigating at night. To be eligible you must at least hold a PPL(A).

Command Instrument Rating

AVI50519 Diploma of Aviation (Flight Instrument)

A CIR allows pilots to act as pilot-in-command on a single or a multi-engine aircraft in cloud or marginal weather. This rating is available for students who hold either a PPLor CPL.

If you are interested in more information and pricing please contact us

Training Aircraft

At the AFTC we have a fleet of 5 aircraft and access to the full range of our FTA FTDs. Aircraft used at the AFTC are the Grob G115 and the Socata TB10. We also have access to FTA’s fleet of 50 aircraft across 5 types to bolster our training capability as required. All the aircraft of similar type have identical cockpit layouts.


Grob G115

grobGrob G115

Pre-solo solo training and basic handling is done in the Grob G115 aircraft.

Engine Model: 1x Lycoming AEIO-360-B1F/B
Engine Power: 180 hp
Max. Cruise Speed: 124 kts
Max. Speed (vne): 184 kts
Service Ceiling: 20.000 ft
Range: 621 nm
Empty Weight: 670 kg
Max. Takeoff Weight: 990 kg
Mmax. Landing Weight: 990 kg
Wing Span: 32,8 ft
Length: 24,7 ft
Height: 7,9 ft

Socata TB10 Tobago

TB10Scoata TB10 Tobago

The TB10 is used to introduce post-solo handling, navigation and basic instrument flying.

Powerplant: 1 × Lycoming O-360-A1AD 4-cylinder horizontally opposed air-cooled piston engine,
Horsepower: 180 hp
Length: 7.63 m (25 ft 01⁄2 in)
Wingspan: 9.76 m (32 ft 01⁄4 in)
Height: 3.20 m (10 ft 6 in)
Wing area: 11.90 m2 (128.1 sq ft)
Airfoil: RA 16.3
Aspect ratio: 8:1
Empty weight: 670 kg (1,477 lb)
Max. take-off weight: 1,150 kg (2,530 lb)
Maximum speed: 247 km/h (133 knots, 153 mph)
Cruise speed: 235 km/h (127 knots, 146 mph)
Stall speed: 97 km/h (52 knots, 60 mph)
Range: 1,210 km (653 nmi, 752 mi)
Service ceiling: 3,960 m (13,000 ft)
Rate of climb: 4.0 m/s (790 ft/min)

Diamond DA42 L360

DA42Diamond DA42 L360

Multi-engine endorsement and command instrument training can be delivered if required.

Engine: 2x Lycoming I0-360 fuel injected counter rotating engines equipped with PowerFlow tuned exhaust system
Horsepower: 360 hp total
Propellers: 2x MT 3-blade composite hydraulic constant speed with unfeathering accumulator
Length: 28 ft 1 in
Height: 8 ft 2 in
Wing span: 44 ft
Maximum take-off weight: 3,935 lbs
Fuel capacity, total / usable: 79 gal / 76.4 gal
Fuel: 100 LL Avgas
Rate of climb (MTOW, SL, ISA, Vy: 90kts): 1,400 fpm
Maximum demonstrated operating altitude: 18,000 ft
Cruise speed at 75% power: 162 ktas

Operational Facilities

The AFTC is located on the ground floor of the Parafield control tower and is within walking distance of the FTA campus facilities.

Policies and Standards

Flight Training Adelaide Policies and Standards


Do I need a visa to study in Australia?

Yes, a student visa is required for any study undertaken in Australia that is expected to be longer than three months. An information pack detailing the application process can be obtained from your nearest Australian Embassy or by visiting www.immi.gov.au

As an overseas student, can I obtain work in Australia while studying?

Candidates on a student visa are required to do full time study, but you can apply for permission to work once you have commenced your studies. If you are granted permission to work, your working hours are restricted to a maximum of 20 hours per week. For more information please visit www.immi.gov.au
I have an overseas PPL. Can I get credit for my past flying experience?

Yes, the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) regulations provide for the recognition of foreign flight crew licences as the basis for converting to an Australian licence. For more information please visit www.casa.gov.au
Where can I get more information on studying in Adelaide?

You can visit the following web site www.studyadelaide.com
What type of flying experience will I need to get a job with an airline?

Different airlines have different entry requirements and it is best to contact prospective employers to seek advice on this matter. However, it is common for regional airlines to require a minimum of 500 multi-engine command hours for employment. Major airlines such as Qantas, Virgin Australia and overseas airlines usually require 500 multi-engine command hours, 1500 hours total flying time and an ATPL for direct entry candidates.
When can I start training?

Students can start at any time throughout the year.
Can I do a command instrument rating (CIR) at AFTC?

Yes, provided you hold a CASA PPL orCPL.
Do I need formal educational qualifications to train as a pilot?

No, CASA require no formal educational qualification to train as a pilot. However, an ICAO English level 4 is required to obtain a commercial pilot licence. School subjects such as maths, physics and geography will offer assistance to candidates during their ground theory subjects.
What are the minimum English requirements?

For foreign students the minimum requirement to conduct flight training in Australia is an average score of 5.5 (or comparable TOEFl or TOEIC scores). Minimum scores and criteria can be found at www.casa.gov.au
Do I need to proof of financial resources ?

Yes, there are minimum requirements that are in place since 1 July 2012. For more information please visit https://www.immi.gov.au/students/student-visa-living-costs.html

Is any sponsorship available at AFTC?

Unfortunately we do not offer sponsorships.

Enquiry Form

* required fields

First Name*
Preferred Name
Address 1
Address 2
Postal Code
Area of Interest *
If other, indicate what area you are interested in
Where did you hear about our training ? *

Additional information


Enter code :

Course Brochures