FTA publishes all information interested candidates and current students need to have about studying at FTA in our Student Handbook. There is a link in the footer of every page on our website.
For complete information about VSL, also refer to the Department of Education’s website: VET Student Loans Website or contact the HELP Student Enquiry at 1800 020 108, or email VET Student Loans or download the booklet.
Implications for current VET FEE-HELP students:
If you are a current student and have opted-in before 31 March 2017 to continue accessing VET FEE-HELP, you may use VET FEE-HELP until 31 December 2017.
Important information about VSL is summarised below.
VSL is an Australian Government loan program that helps eligible students enrolled in approved higher level vocational education and training (VET) at approved training providers pay their tuition fees. Before applying for a VSL, students need to consider the following facts:
- It is a loan from the Commonwealth
- The loan will remain a personal debt until it is repaid to the Commonwealth
- The loan may, until the debt is repaid, reduce a person’s take home (after tax) wage or salary and may reduce the person’s borrowing capacity.
- The loan must be paid to the Australian Taxation Office when your income reaches a certain level.
- Students should seek independent financial advice before applying for a loan.
- If you are a full fee paying student, a loan fee of 20% will be added to the VSL loan amount.
- Each eligible student has a FEE-HELP limit that can be used over their lifetime. The loan cannot be greater than the student’s remaining FEE HELP balance.
- Each approved VET course at FTA has a maximum loan (cap) amount of $75,000 that can be used under the VET Student Loan scheme.
- The Commonwealth pays the funds directly to your training provider for your tuition fees. Your Commonwealth Higher Education Support Number (CHESSN) is connected to information about your VSL debt.
Eligible students may access VET Student Loans to study an approved VSL course at an approved VSL provider. To be eligible for a VSL loan, a person must provide evidence to FTA of the following:
- Australian citizenship; or
- Permanent humanitarian visa holder; or
- (resident in Australia for the duration of the unit): or
- New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets the long-term residency requirements.
- Academically suitability, which are:
- – Provide a copy of your Australian Year 12 certificate; or
- – Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework through approved literacy and numeracy core skills tests; or
- – Provide evidence of completing an AQF Certificate IV or higher qualification.
Further eligibility requirements include:
- Entry requirements of FTA during selection
- Not have exceeded the VSL limit
- Be enrolled on or before the first census date of your course (or entry point into the course) by completing an Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF)
- Tax file number requirements.
Before Australian private students are offered a place on a course they have to meet our pre-enrolment selection criteria. Applicants are expected to travel to FTA on an agreed date at their own expense to participate in selection. Students from interstate are offered one night of free accommodation on the FTA campus. Pre-enrolment selection consists of three parts:
- Computer-based selection tool that assesses hand-and-eye coordination, memory retention, mathematical skills, spatial orientation and multi-tasking ability. The computer-based assessment takes approximately 1-2 hours to complete and costs $200.
- Students who cannot provide evidence of academic suitability in the Australian Core Skills Framework will participate in an approved literacy and numeracy assessment for VSL.
- Interview with a senior FTA manager.
Candidates need to register their interest in a course before an assessment date will be arranged. Please registeryour interest.
If you have any questions or need additional information on registering for courses please contact Jean Mills at FTA.